My Photo
Name:
Location: Sugar Land, Texas, United States

I'm a complicated man. I have multiple layers to my personality. I'm not schizophrenic or anything but I can be a totally different person from day to day. I was raised in a small farm town (2,000 people) but I don't really fit that stereotype. In fact, most of the people from small towns don't fit that stereotype. No, I can't stand crowds but at the same time I'm open-minded, semi-cultured and pretty non-conservative. I'm of average intelligence and I like to say I know a little about a lot of things and a lot about a few things. Jack of all trades...master of baiting...err, I mean master of none.

  • Visit Get Fuzzy here
  • Sunday, February 13, 2005

    Creation or what...

    I read in the Chronicle the other day an editorial about Intelligent Design and Creationism. It was basically about the three most popular theories on how humans came to be in existance.

    One theory is Creationism. This theory says that God created the world and all living things, including man. We all pretty much know how this one goes.

    Another theory is Darwinism and the theory of evolution. According to Charles Darwin, man crawled from the primordial ooze as an aquatic lifeform and evolved through various forms and eventually developed in to the erect walking homosapiens you see milling about today.

    Believers in Creationism feel this is blasphemy. So some of them, after vainly attempting to refute evolution I believe, came up with the theory of Intelligent Design.

    Intelligent Design is, to put it simply, the belief that mankind and nature did evolve over the millenia but a supreme intelligence had a hand in it. This is backed up by the scientific conclusion that all things found in nature, man included, have a uniform order about them. Thus, they could not have been created randomly by the chaotic development suggested by Evolutionism.

    In otherwords, how can so much symetry and order be found in nature if nature simply found its own way and developed on its own over so many tumultuous and chaotically violent geological periods?

    I say 'Who gives a shit?'. Why in the hell does it matter? I'll tell you why. Because of one simple word....FAITH.

    Those who have it want to KNOW that there is a God. They want concrete proof that God created all living things.

    Well, that makes me wonder. If you have faith....why do you need to know without a doubt? Why would you care what other people believe? Maybe YOU don't need concrete proof. Maybe you want to be able to prove it to those who don't have faith so that you can recruit them? Maybe you're worried about their soul.

    I believe that's the very nature of those with faith...be it Christian, Muslim, Hindu or whatever. You want to do good things and show others the light. Some people might look at it as you shoving your beliefs down their throats. Some might see it as a genuine concern for their well being and appreciate it. I think you should gauge your audience before you go promoting your beliefs. Because some people don't care what you think. Some people have a faith of their own and don't need you trying to change their minds. People are going to believe what they believe. If they are strong willed people then they are going to believe what they believe regardless of what you tell them. If they are not strong willed and are easily molded to believe what you tell them then chances are they're easily swayed to believe other things as well. And they might believe what you're saying this week and believe what somebody else is saying next week.

    My whole point is this. What good does it do to try and figure out where we came from? We need to focus on where we're going. Sure, some scientists say that we need to study our past to try and predict our future. We need to find out what wiped out the dinosaurs so that we can try and save ourselves. OK, archaeology is cool and exciting but let's face it. We'll never know beyond a doubt what happened to the dinosaurs. We can only speculate based on evidence.

    The evidence points toward a celestial body striking Earth. Do we really think we can stop something like that from happening? They're already developing systems to defend Earth against an asteroid/meteorite strike. Can you imagine how much that's going to cost? The number coming up in my head is staggering. But I'm not going to get in to my feelings on that whole thing. I'll save that for another day in order to avoid going off on a tangent.

    I'll wrap this up by saying...Why can't we just leave people alone to believe what they want and stop all of these religious wars, both verbal and physically violent? Personally, I could care less what somebody else thinks. If it doesn't affect my family or I in a physically detrimental or psychological way, I don't care. Have at it. Enjoy yourself. And let me do the same. Find something better to give me shit about...like my thick eyebrows or somethin'.

    2 Comments:

    Blogger Ally said...

    but you don't have thick ones no more. :)

    5:58 AM  
    Blogger Big D said...

    not thick 'eyebrows' anyways *wink wink*

    10:13 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home